Release Notes, version 1.0.3
- A new style component "Stroke With Tags" was added, allowing the simple creation of various tagged line styles.
- A new style component "Tapered Stroke" was added, allowing the simple creation of tapering linear features.
- Drawing Setup now allows a prescale to be set which is applied to styles and symbols when they are placed in this document. The value is a property of the document, and is used to work with certain mapping specifications where symbols and styles are scaled up when placed.
- Object Inspector for Tracks exposes the "width adaptor" enabled property, allowing this to be turned off if required.
- Pattern fills now expose the "random" property allowing more stochastic pattern effects to be realised.
- Buffering now operates on symbols as well as tracks, yielding a circular path of the buffer radius. The Buffer command has now moved up into the main Edit menu.
- "Cookie Cutter" command provides easier to use access to Intersection and Difference operations in a more intuitive manner. All selected objects that are touched by the "cutter" (top selected object) are sectioned using both intersection and difference. The cutter is removed and the remaining pieces left in place. (Graphic > Combine > Cookie Cutter).
- When tracks are cut using the path cutting tool, the new ends will be reconnected to tracks below if present. This makes for a very easy way to create proper intersections where tracks cross over. Holding down option with this tool disables this behaviour.
- Selected objects can be moved to any layer by directly using the Layer > Move To > (layer name) command rather than having to be done using cut and paste. The Move To New Layer command has also moved to this menu.
- Tracks having special terminations set now refuse connection for the terminated ends - the termination must be 'None' to allow connection. In the object inspector, the termination options are disabled if the relevant end is already connected. In other words a track end cannot both be connected and terminated - they are mutually exclusive and the UI now reflects that correctly.
- Symbol masters now support locking. Locked masters refuse changes to their name, object, description and data transformers. The lock is off by default however (can be locked in the Symbol Library window).
- Files can be optionally saved in XML format to assist with parsing data on other platforms. Note XML can significantly increase file sizes.
- The Style Inspector can be set to optionally resize automatically to accommodate the controls for the selected component. This is enabled in the action menu and is persistent.
Changes and Bug Fixes
- Changes to Undo to correct Snow Leopard incompatibility were causing problems on 10.5 systems. That has been corrected.
- A problem with the display of opacity percentage in the Object Inspector for Image shapes was fixed.
- A problem with the rulers being registered with inconsistent units keys was fixed. This manifested itself as an inability to open files under certain circumstances, though the problem itself arose in the Drawing Setup interface.
- A problem preventing the Save As panel from remembering the user's last chosen directory was fixed.
- As a forward compatibility measure, objects (such as style components) that are not recognised gracefully degrade to their nearest known ancestor class. This might occur if a file created on version x of Ortelius is read on a version < x. On the older version, the component may not be known, so rather than fail to load at all, the file loads with such components converted to a base class.
- A crash when opening the stroke dash editor in certain situations was fixed.
- A bug with the dash editor view becoming jumpy and hard to use when the dash was applied to a selected connectable track object was fixed. Note that this was caused by both objects contending for the dash's phase property - while the dash phase can be set by the editor, it may be overridden by a track when necessary to ensure phase continuity of adjoining tracks having a dashed stroke, so you should not rely on the phase value remaining constant at all times.
- A hang in the low level Quartz drawing routines caused by out of range dash parameters was fixed. It should no longer be possible to set bad dash values anywhere.
- Some minor changes and bugfixes for Snow Leopard compatibility.
- The file extension for an Ortelius file is now 'ortelius_map' by default. 'mdm' is still supported and opened as normal. This change helps to ensure that there will be no chance of an extension conflict.
- A problem with the correct operation of the "Move To New Layer" command was fixed.
- Locked layers refuse dragging in the layers list. Previously, they would appear to drag, then not actually move because they were locked and so throw an error.
- When moving a set of connected tracks to a new layer, or when pasting them, the connections between the tracks are maintained. In addition, when pasting tracks, connections are made if necessary where endpoints meet acceptable parent tracks.
- When objects are cut and pasted to a new layer, no initial offset is applied to their location. Repeated pasting applies an offset as normal.
- When cutting a track that has connected child tracks downstream of the cut, they no longer jump to the position of the cut but remain where they should.
- A similar problem when reversing a track having connected child tracks was fixed.
- Path Decorator and Pattern Fill Inspectors display the scale as a percentage, not a distance.
- When attributes are copied across to new objects for any reason, a deep copy is made. This prevents problems with objects inadvertently sharing attributes.
- A problem with text label selections following a track split was fixed.
- Attributes from a track are now copied to an inserted roundabout.
- Hit-testing on thin paths now uses a tolerance with a minimum of 4 points (up from 2 previously).
- A problem preventing the "Reset Sequence..." menu item becoming available was fixed.
Previous version release notes