User Forum » Mapdiva » ARTBOARD | How-To & General Discussion

Buggy redraw with transparent background

(4 posts)
  1. natchiketa

Hi there, I just purchased Artboard after being quite taken with the app when using the trial. I've found several bugs that I will post here (or wherever is most useful to you guys) as my schedule allows, but obviously I still love the app because I bought it

I set the drawing background color to 0% opacity... I intend to export a PNG with a transparent background, but I have a feeling that this is not necessary.

Anyway, when the background is set to 0% opacity, any redrawing to the drawing leaves trails like so:

This happened first time loading the app after it installed (full version) from the App Store. This is version 1.4, and I'm using a Mac Pro with Lion 10.7.3

Cheers,
    -Sal

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. mapdiva
    Key Master

Hi Sal,
    Welcome to Artboard and thanks for your post! You are correct in that setting the background to 0% opacity isn't needed at all. When you export to PNG, just check the box for "transparent background" and that will do the trick (if you'd like, you can even export only the objects that you have selected ). Even though it is unnecessary, it shouldn't leave the trailing images (it is a reproducible bug). We'll look into it.
    - Jill

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. gcox
    Administrator

The background colour setting is intended to provide either an alternative to white, if you happen to be planning to print your work on coloured paper, for example, or to use a texture pattern, for example to simulate rough paper, canvas or other media.

This colour is never actually printed or exported. The default is plain white, and painting the background with this colour is relied upon, for performance, to erase the previous positions of objects when dragging. If the colour or pattern is not 100% opaque this doesn't fully erase, so trails are left. I will ensure that in future any transparency is ignored for this setting.

As Jill pointed out, you do not need to be concerned about this setting in order to export your work with a transparent background - the background colour or pattern is purely there to help you create your work using a simulation of the media it will be printed on.

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. natchiketa

Thanks for the replies. As a said in my post—I had pretty much figured that out by the time I posted, and the transparent backgroun option in the export dialog was easy to spot. I just thought I'd report it, so you can make an enhancement to handle this edge case in the future.

Really, I think you guys have created a beautiful application at an incredibly fair price, and I'm happy to be of assistance by reporting these minor issues, and also by telling all my fellow developer and designer friends to stop paying an arm and a leg for Adobe CS when there's something like this

Posted 2 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.